Saturday, December 1, 2007

Wikis

I think they have lots of applications both internal to my workplace and in the broader community. We have real problems with keeping our web info up to date. Anything requiring changes or input can be handled this way. Our Branch procedures manuals could use a wiki. Good ideas, forms, processes, procedures could be displayed this way. Wikis are something I can see being implemented almost immediately within our library service.

Within the broader community, using the libraries resources to facilitate the development of wikis on various topics would take some thought. I think there may be concerns about being seen to take responsibility for content. A wiki could be a way that patrons could engage in chat about books they liked, information aout the local community etc. I would be very supportive of it. It could always be trialled , then put in a submit an email address type thing, if you needed to.

I loved when I went to the Ann Arbour wikis that there were over 50 comments about a pokemon competition that they were holding at the library. It expanded out into conversations about recommendations about new games to buy, to asking if anyone coud loan someone a game for over summer! There was the odd bit of further information from someone at the library, but it was largely self propelled. Peope enjoyed being told that they were the 5000th or 9000th entry on the wiki. The best practices wiki was very interesting to look at. I like it when wikis have the history button very obviously displayed. I am intrigued where someone has changed something and then it is immediately changed back by the original author. This happened a bit in the best practices web site. Meredith Farkas wrote some intersting material in her various wikis. I loved her idea about being able to find out where you would get an old Toyota repaired in your local area wiki (perhaps because I have an old Toyota!!).

I think they are a very useful tool and will stop bottle necks in the heirarchy.

No comments: